Friends of Baldwin County Cemeteries, Inc.
A non-profit, 501(c)(3), organization dedicated to the preservation
|Original Gum Hill Church Cemetery
Location: From the Baldwin County Courthouse, go east on Hancock St. and follow Highway 24 southeast for 13.9 miles. Locked metal gates on the right side of the highway mark the entrance. The cemetery is 1.3 miles from Hwy 24 - not visible from the gates and not accessible to the public.|
GPS coordinates: 32 58' 20.3" N 83 04' 32.0" W
or in degrees only form: 32.97231° N X 83.07556° W
See location on a Google map in a new window (NOTE:The map opens in a new window. The cemetery will be at the location indicated by a red marker.)
Cemetery Status: Inactive
Predominant race: Black
It is believed the original church was located in this area. The church has been moved to Hwy 24.
|Pers. No.||Name||Birth||Death||Inscription and Notes||Service|
|1||Walter Wright|| ||Oct 24, 1918||Military Service: |
Ohio Pvt 425 Res Labor Bn
|2||Emily Hopkins||1855||Mar 1, 1927|
|3||Arthur Hopkins|| ||Feb 21, 1920||Age 75 yrs. Deacon Gum Hill Church. Gone|
but not forgotten.
|4||Henry Rushin||1877||1942||Gone but not forgotten.|
|5||Lubirta Walker||Jan 16, 1881||Feb 24, 1911||w/o Seaborn Walker|
|6||Jerry Baily|| || ||Name handwritten on slab.|
|7|| || ||Unmarked graves.|
At least 75 graves.